During the March 23 Governor’s Council of Economic Advisers (GCEA) general meeting, Governor Ralph DLG. Torres signed Executive Order 2022-05 to formally establish the Governor’s Environmental Council (GEC).
The GEC shall serve in an advisory role for the Governor, and its responsibilities shall include but are not limited to the following:
1. The formulation of policy initiatives or community activities to encourage environmental protection, conservation, and sustainable development.
2. Provide recommendations to the Governor on environmental issues relating to the administration of the Executive Branch and its departments and agencies.
3. Create detailed reports to advance environmental policy initiatives beneficial to the CNMI population.
4. Conduct a review of current environmental laws and policies to determine their efficacy in protecting the environment.
5. Propose studies to be conducted that are related to the CNMI environment to include surveys, valuation studies, cost-benefit analyses, and willingness to pay estimations.
6. The convening of GEC meetings at least once every three (3) months.
To read Executive Order 2022-05, please visit the following: https://bit.ly/EnviroCouncilEO
Photos and information are courtesy of the Office of the Governor of the CNMI.